Gunung Mulu National Park is one of Nature’s most spectacular achievements and the ‘Jewel in the Crown’ of Sarawak’s expanding network of national parks. It is also the largest national park, covering 52,865 hectares of primary rainforest, which is criss-crossed by fast flowing rivers and clear jungle streams. Mulu is dominated by three mountains – Gunung Mulu (2,376 m), Gunung Api (1,750 m) and Gunung Benarat (1,585 m). Yet many of Mulu’s greatest attractions lie deep below the surface. Hidden underneath the forested slopes of these mountains is one of the largest limestone cave systems in the world.
This system, a breath-taking natural wonder, contains a number of record breaking caves. With the world’s largest cave passage (Deer Cave, the world’s largest natural chamber (Sarawak Chamber), and the longest cave in Southeast Asia (Clearwater cave), it is not surprising that Mulu is now world-famous. Over 200 km of cave passages have been surveyed but this is thought to represent just 30-40% of the actual total.
Filled with mystery and rich in history, the Headhunter’s trail, is a fascinating and educating path to include while in Mulu as it marks an ancient passage once used by the Kayan, a tribe who originate from Sarawak’s interior. The Headhunter’s trail follows part of the route the Kayan headhunting groups traveled on. It is said that the Kayan paddled up the Melinau River to the Gorge where they began headhunting raids against their enemies, then the people of Limbang centuries ago.
The famous Pinnacles at Mulu consist of a series of 45 metre high, razor-sharp limestone spikes that tower above the surrounding vegetation, mid-way up the slopes of Gunung Api. The trek to view them is one of the most popular in the park. But be warned, the Pinnacle Summit Trek is a tough and challenging one. The trail itself is very steep (near vertical in parts) and requires a high level of fitness.
Day 01: Limbang / Nanga Medamit / Mentawai Guard post (PL/D)
- 07.00hrs Meeting Hotel Lobby & greet our representative Sarawak Park Guide
- Depart by vehicle to Nanga Medamit for longboat ride up to Mentawai guard post.
- Arrive at Mentawai Guard Post for registration ( 3-4 hours journey)
- Assign accommodation (Hostel type)
- Packed lunch will provided at Mentawai Guard Post
- Pitcher plant guided tour near Mentawai Guard Post
- Free at own leisure
- Brief for next day program & dinner at Mentawai Guard Post
Day 02: Headhunter’s Trail / Camp 5 (B/PL/D)
- 07.00hrs Breakfast at Mentawai Guard Post
- Depart by longboat from mentawai to Kuala Terikan approx an hours
- Arrive at Kuala Terikan and start trekking 11.7km through riverine forest to camp 5 approx 4 hours
- ETA at Camp 5 located in remote area..
- Camp 5 was developed as the base for those who plan to climb the Pinnacles. It has an open space plan for sleeping.
- Assign accommodation (Hostel type)
- Packed lunch will be provided at camp 5
- Free at own leisure
- Briefing for next day program & Dinner at Camp 5.
DAY 03: Pinnacles / Camp 5
- Wakeup & breakfast then real hiking begin.
The trail is 2.4 km in length but rises some 1,200 metres from Camp 5 to the viewpoint, passing through lowland limestone forest before climbing steeply through mosses forest. Here the trees area a lot smaller and everything is covered in slippery green moss. Limestone debris also litters the trail so trekkers must proceed with care. The last section of the trail is near vertical, with rope sections and 15 aluminium ladders strategically positioned to help with the climb. The vegetation is sparse although orchids, rhododendrons and pitcher plants thrive in the area, and can be seen at the side of the trail. After some tough climbing you finally come out onto a rocky outcrop where the stunning view provides a good reward for all the effort. For many the descent is actually more difficult and therefore takes longer, so the return trip can take anything from 4 to 5 hours depending on fitness level.
- Dinner and overnight at camp 5.
Day 04: Kuala Terikan / Mulu National Park / Deer Cave / Lang cave (B/L/D)
- 06.00hrs Breakfast at Camp 5
- Start trekking to Kuala Litut for 8.8km approx 3 hours
- Depart by longboat to Mulu National Park approx an hour journey
- Arrive at Mulu National Park & assign accommodation (hostel type or chalet)
- Lunch at Mulu Cafe
- Proceed 3.8km plank walk through alluvial forest to Deer & Lang Cave
- Visit Lang cave the smallest amongst four cave with beauty formation stalagtites & stalactites then proceed the Largest cave passage in the world. Deer Cave is home 3 millions Bats and 13 species.
- Rest at the open observatory to witness the phonemenon exodus of BATS flying out of the cave searching for food.
- Dinner at Mulu Cafe
Day 05: Wind Cave / Clear water Cave / Mulu Airport (B/L)
- 07.30hrs breakfast at Mulu Cafe
- Depart by longboat to Wind & Clear water Cave
- Visit the Wind Cave the cool breeze can feel at entrance the most hightlight is King chamber then proceed to Clear water Cave the longer cave system in South East Asia.
- Packed lunch will be provided at Clear water summer huts
- Swim at clear water spring
- Depart by longboat to Mulu National Park
- Transfer to Mulu Airport for flight to Miri or Kota Kinabalu.
- Tour ends
Tour Package Includes:
- Transfer from Limbang Town to Nanga Medamit jetty,
- Longboat from Nanga Medamit to Mentawai Guard Post gateway to Mulu National Park,
- Longboat from Kuala Litut to Mulu National Park,
- Accommodation Mentawai Np hostel 1 night, Camp 5 2 night, Mulu National park accommodation 1 night,
- National Park entrance fees,
- Meals as stated in Itinerary
- Sarawak Park Guide.
- Travel Insurance and Airfare
Items to bring :
- Torch Lights,
- Rain Coat,
- sun cream,
- Dry clothes & short & Long pants,
- Trekking shoes & sandal,
- Water Bottle, S
- wim Wear,
- Insect Repellent,
- sleeping bags & mosquito netting for camp 5,
- Extra foods items such as snacks for personal consumption en-route,
- Personal items.